WASHINGTON STATE MATHEMATICS COUNCIL
1999 MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH OLYMPIAD
FIFTH GRADE MEASUREMENT
(Make sure you include the units in your answer!)
1. Jamal burns 200 calories riding a bike for 30 minutes. At this rate, how many hours are necessary for Jamal to burn 3600 calories?
2. Find the area of this H-shaped figure.
3. My uncle started driving at 8 a.m. this morning to Los Angeles. He is a cautious driver, and drives at a speed of 40 miles per hour. I left from the same place at 10:30 a.m. driving at 60 miles per hour. If neither of us stops, at what time will I catch my uncle on the highway?
4. Find the area of this figure. Points on the grid are 1 cm apart horizontally and vertically.
5. The standard formula for making concrete mix calls for sand, gravel, and cement. You need twice as much sand as cement and twice as much gravel as sand. If I want to make 3500 pounds of concrete mix, how many pounds of cement do I need?