WASHINGTON STATE MATHEMATICS COUNCIL
2000 MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH OLYMPIAD
SIXTH GRADE MEASUREMENT
Make sure you include proper units in your answer.
1. Andrea wants to tile the floor of her 6 ft. by 9 ft. bathroom with tiles that are 9 inch by 9 inch squares.   How many tiles will she need?
2. On a house plan diagram, 1/4 inch represents 1 foot.   How long is the side of a building that is 6 1/4 inches long on the diagram?
3. If a stamp machine can make 360 stamps in 3 minutes, how many stamps can it make in 8 hours?
4. If now it is 10 AM on Saturday, what day of the week will it be in 50,000 minutes?
5. Carla is hanging a picture that is 40 inches tall and 28½ inches wide on a panel that is 36 inches wide. If she hangs the picture in the center of the panel, how far will each edge of the picture be from the edge of the panel?