WASHINGTON STATE MATHEMATICS COUNCIL
2000 MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH OLYMPIAD
FIFTH GRADE ALGEBRAIC SENSE
1. When a one-digit number is multiplied by 6, it increases by 20. What is the one-digit number?
2. There are bicycles and tricycles in the yard. There are a total of 30 seats and 70 wheels. How many tricycles are there?
3. In the following problem, different letters stand for different one-digit numbers. What digit does W stand for if the letter O stands for 7?
TWO + TWO ----- FOUR
4. Each number in this sequence is the sum of the previous number and a constant number. What is the sum of the missing 3 numbers?
18    ___    ___   ___    54
5. What is N if: 8% of (N-2) equals 12 ?